"Nannie"), and John Lee Wallace and his wife Malvina. The Pounds were newlyweds, but the Wallaces and Mosses already had children. Sarah and Nannie were sisters. John Wallace was a nephew of Confederate General Robert E. Lee.
ON JUNE 5, 1857, JOHN MOSS was appointed the first postmaster. To have a post office, the community needed a name. Nannie Moss officially named it for the "dripping springs" at the Milk House Branch of the Edwards Aquifer, a gathering place for the Tonkawa Indians. Dripping Springs became a stagecoach stop and part of a freight line that ran between Austin and Fredericksburg. The last reported Indian raid occurred in 1872.
WHAT IS NOW THE POUND HOUSE MUSEUM was built by Dr. J.M. Pound in 1852. The Pound family operated the farm for more than 130 years. The home was a hospital and a church before being donated to the city as a museum. Dr. Pound, the earliest doctor in Hays County, served in the Mexican and Civil wars, and four generations of his family lived in the home. Restoring the home has been an ongoing community project, now in its eighth year.
TODAY, DRIPPING SPRINGS is often referred to as the "Gateway to the Texas Hill Country." Rolling hills, beautiful rock bottom creeks, abundant wildlife and majestic views make up this Hill Country town with a population of about 1,100 folks.
COMMUNITY RESIDENTS ARE ESPECIALLY PROUD of their new library, as well as Founders City Park, a 30-acre city-owned park just north of the Hwy. 290 West intersection on Ranch Road 12, which features a junior Olympic-sized pool with kiddie area, jogging trail, softball fields, pavilion, picnic facilities, concession stand, and playscape.
ANNUAL EVENTS INCLUDE the Founders' Day celebration each spring, the Cajun Shrimp Boil and Pound House Fall Festival in September, chili cook-off and Gathering Festival of Fine Arts in October, and the "Christmas in the Hills" Tour of Homes.
by the Dripping Springs Chamber of Commerce
(researched by Carl Waits)